Inspirational Food for Thought
The primary goal of Christian Science nursing care is to support healing. Christian Science nurses work under the guidelines stated in the Manual of the Mother Church, by Mary Baker Eddy: “Christian Science Nurse. Sect. 31. A member of The Mother Church who represents himself or herself as a Christian Science nurse shall be one who has a demonstrable knowledge of Christian Science practice, who thoroughly understands the practical wisdom necessary in a sick room, and who can take proper care of the sick.” (Manual 49:7)
The moment-by-moment task of a Christian Science nurse is to fulfill the demands of our Wayshower, Christ Jesus, and our Leader, Mary Baker Eddy.
In the words of Jesus at the close of the Sermon on the Mount: “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father, which is in heaven, is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48)
Mrs. Eddy’s correlative statement summarizes the standpoint from which a Christian Science nurse works:
“Jesus beheld in Science the perfect man, who appeared to him where sinning mortal man appears to mortals. In this perfect man the Saviour saw God’s own likeness, and this correct view of man healed the sick. Thus Jesus taught that the kingdom of God is intact, universal, and that man is pure and holy. Man is not a material habitation for Soul; he is himself spiritual.” (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures 476:32-7)
The foundation of all that we do is spiritual and absolute, and solidly based on the pure teachings of Christian Science. There are innumerable stories and verses in the Bible as well as passages and statements in Mrs. Eddy’s writings that speak directly to the healing practice of Christian Science, which underpins every activity at Arden Wood.
- “Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matt. 19:19)
- “…by love serve one another.” (Galatians 5:13)
- “…he had compassion on him…bound up his wounds…and took care of him.” (Luke 10:33-34)
- “…the Saviour saw God’s own likeness, and this correct view of man healed the sick.” (S&H 477:2-4)
- “The Christlike understanding of scientific being and divine healing includes a perfect Principle and idea, — perfect God and perfect man, — as the basis of thought and demonstration.” (S&H 259:11)
- “The realization that all in harmony is unreal brings objects and thoughts into human view in their true light, and presents them as beautiful and immortal. Harmony in man is as real and immortal as in music. Discord is unreal and mortal.” (S&H 276:12, 26 Discord)
- “Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.” (Matthew 14:14 Jesus)
- “Be not deceived: know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
(I Corinthians 6:9 Be [to :], 19 know, 20 glorify)
- “When man is governed by God, the ever-present Mind who understands all things, man knows that with God all things are possible. The only way to this living Truth, which heals the sick, is found in the Science of divine Mind as taught and demonstrated by Christ Jesus.
To reduce inflammation, dissolve a tumor, or cure organic disease, I have found divine Truth more potent than all lower remedies.” (S&H 180: 25-1)
- “To the Christian Science healer, sickness is a dream from which the patient needs to be awakened. Disease should not appear real to the physician, since it is demonstrable that the way to cure the patient is to make disease unreal to him. To do this, the physician must understand the unreality of disease in Science.” (S&H 417:20)
- “Corporeal sense, or error, may seem to hide Truth, health, harmony, and Science, as the mist obscures the sun or the mountain; but Science, the sunshine of Truth,
will melt away the shadow and reveal the celestial peaks.” (S&H 299:26)
- “The dream that matter and error are something must yield to reason and revelation. Then mortals will behold the nothingness of sickness and sin, and sin and sickness will disappear from consciousness. The harmonious will appear real, and the inharmonious unreal.” (S&H 347:26–31)
- “And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.” (Luke 13:11–17)
- “I am with thee, saith the Lord, to save thee: thou hast no healing medicines. I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the Lord; And ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.” (Jeremiah 30:11 I am [to 1st :], 13 thou hast, 17 I will [to ;], 22)
- “The physical healing of Christian Science results now, as in Jesus’ time, from the operation of divine Principle, before which sin and disease lose their reality in human consciousness and disappear as naturally and as necessarily as darkness gives place to light and sin to reformation.” (S&H xi:9-14)